Emissions to air lead to global warming and affect the environment. Being a main stakeholder in the maritime industry as regards environmental issues, DNV has the topics of emissions to air and greenhouse gases (GHG) at the top of its agenda for investments in competence and technology services.
Pollution of the sea has a high focus in the shipping industry since it leads to changes in the environment. The challenges have changed over the years and DNV has always taken an active and leading position to support standards and prevent such pollution.
DNV provides a range of services to the maritime industry and they can be grouped as follows:
• Emissions to air including exhaust and vapours
• Discharges to sea, both operational and accidental
• Pollution of water and soil from waste and ship dismantling operations
• Consumption of natural resources – hydrocarbons, metals, plastics
• Damage to human health due to what we breathe, eat and drink
• Operational and technological developments to meet future challenges
• Ship recycling and inventory services